Katelyn

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Brendan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tubes!

I was really hoping for an uneventful night prior to Katelyn's tube placement, but I did not get my wish.  She was not allowed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight, so the plan was to wake her up at the last possible minute and just put her in the car pjs and all.   Unfortunately, Katelyn woke up crying at 11:30pm.  We gave her a dose of Tylenol and tried to get her back to sleep.  Just about midnight, we heard a terrible coughing fit over the monitor followed by near hysterical crying.  Poor baby had gotten sick all over her bed and was so upset.  She had a terrible runny nose, cough, and was pulling at her ears.  The night kind of spiraled down from there.  We ended up changing her bed two more times before she finally stayed asleep between 3 and 4am.  At which time, I fell asleep in the rocking chair in her room.  Needless to say, I was so glad to see 5:30am and our 6:30am departure time!

She finally passed out in the glider during on of her crib changes, but woke up when I laid down on the floor next to her.  Granted, I was terrified, she'd fall out of the chair in her sleep!



We checked in without major incident.  Katelyn was pretty quiet, but didn't seem to miss her breakfast, which was good.  She had a low grade fever, but luckily there was no discussion of postponing her procedure.   We met briefly with the anesthesiologist, who I happened to have shadowed his wife (a local pediatrician) back in high school.   Dr. Isenberg also stopped by to say good morning.   After some coloring for Katelyn and paperwork for Mommy, one of the surgery techs came to take Katelyn to the OR.  (I was very proud of myself and did not cry when they took her away!) 

Waiting patiently.  :) 



We then went out to the waiting room for about 10-15 minutes while the procedure was done.  Dr. Isenberg met with us afterwards and said that her ears were terrible!  They both had pus behind them and one had a blood blister between the first and second layers of the ear drum.  No wonder the poor thing couldn't sleep!
 Then we were able to go back and see Katelyn.  She was sucking on her juice cup while being rocked by one of the sweet nurses.  I was so happy to see that she wasn't crying.  (The girl in the next room woke up before she even got back to her room and was so not happy!)   After a few minutes of drinking her juice, she did wake up and was definitely upset.  :(   She kept pointing at the door and saying "go".  She was very much done with all of this.  I fully expected to have to spend a significant amount of time afterwards sitting there while they monitored her, but it was luckily only 30 minutes.  We tried to pass the time and make her happy with snacks, and Elmo movie on my phone and walking around, but she just wanted to "go"!  Finally, we were allowed to go.  They gave Katelyn a balloon as well as one for her brother.  :)

I got Katelyn buckled into her seat and stuffed the balloons in the car.  We pulled out of our spot and were almost out of the parking lot, when she puked all over herself and her seat.  :(   So, I got to drag her back into the hospital to find a place to change her...complete with the two "Get well" balloons tied to the diaper bag.  ;)    Once in clean pjs, and back in the car, she fell asleep and slept for about an hour even with being transferred to the pack n play at Mamaw and GrandBob's.

She was definitely a little happier once she woke up there and was even better after a second nap at home later in the day.    I'm not sure that this is how Katelyn wanted to spend her 20 month birthday, but I know that she'll be so much better in the long run!









1 comment:

Nikki said...

Poor baby and poor mommy!!! I would've burst into tears at several different stages of that process I think. :) I'm glad she's feeling better now!