Katelyn

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Brendan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Today's the Big Day (Hopefully!)

Tuesday

4am - Well, I've been up since 2am with lots of cramping...finally gave up and woke up Chris and we're going to walk around the house, snack, and hopefully get another hour of sleep before we have to get up to go to the hospital. So far the overnight snowfall that was predicted has once again, not shown up, which is probably a good thing, we only have a dusting of snow at our house. :)

7am - We went back to bed at 5am and actually got about another hour of sleep, so that was good. Everyone told me to make sure that I eat something before I go in, but I really have no appetite. :( I've had two pieces of toast with peanut butter since 4am, so hopefully that will hold me. We plan to leave for the hospital soon, so I'll post again once we get settled in.

9:30am - well, it took 35 minutes to get to the hospital! Traffic was horrible. Finally got checked in...I have my IV and the evil juice (Pitocin) is running. We had a little surprise about 15 minutes ago, my OB popped in to say good morning and broke my water! Yikes - this is really going to happen! I'm 5cm at this point. Hopefully I'll be able to get up and walk around soon. I'm having some contractions, but they aren't too terrible yet.

12pm - Chris here. Sorry we haven't updated in a couple hours. Jen's moving along! She's been having quite a few contractions, pretty strong. We've spent over an hour in her room, after an hour or so of circling the floor. She just called for an epidural. The only thing is, the pain's mostly in her back, which means we'll need to figure out a way to turn him.

12:45pm - I'm back. :) Much better now. :) Much love to the epidural guy...he was excellent! I was hoping to make it a little longer before getting the epidural, but the back pain was getting unbearable even with Chris being wonderful and rubbing my back. I think that the combination of Pitocin and her breaking my water was just too much for me - they were so intense. So, anyway...I'm 7cm and 90% effaced! Baby's doing ok - he didn't like the epidural at first, but is happier now. My plan now is to rest a little bit and they'll recheck me in about 2 hours. So I'll post again then. :)

2:30pm - 7cm, 100%! The contractions have leveled off, though, so they turned the pitocin back up. They've also put in an internal contraction monitor thingie.

3:15pm - Contractions are ramping up again. Fingers crossed.

4:45pm - The doc came by. We're prepping for the O.R. now. C-section. There hasn't been enough progression, and the risks of a natural delivery are too great at this point. From start to finish should take an hour once we're in the O.R.

5:30pm - Ladies and gentlemen, in the blue corner, 21 in. long, weighing 8 lbs. 3 oz., with an Apgar of 8 or 9, Brendan! Armstrong! Low!
We'll have photos soon, we promise!
Anyone who'd like to visit can do so tomorrow (Wed.). Just give Jen or Chris a call beforehand on one of their cell phones.

8:30pm - OK, we're busted. :-) Things got really busy before Chris got the chance to update the blog. Oh, and the official time of birth was 5:18.

9:45pm - Here's a photo!



Wednesday

7:45am - We'll be up for visitors for today and Thursday morning. We're in Community Hospital North, Room 4105. Call Jen's cell when you get to the hospital, so we can let you into the maternity ward.

Thursday

Happy Valentine's Day!



For our fans, here's a family photo (better ones to come later):

36 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! Will be anxiously awaiting updates!

Laura said...

Yay! So how are you feeling?

Anonymous said...

Hooray! The baby is coming. I am so anxious for you I can't concentrate at work. Sending "easy labor" thoughts your way.

Anne Hultgren said...

I can't concentrate either, update the blog often!!!! I'm sending any "short pushing" vibes I have your way!

Anonymous said...

Great job on holding out this long for the epidural! You are a champ!

Sending 'flip over baby!' thoughts your way now.

Anne Hultgren said...

You are doing awesome!! Great job!! And super awesome on getting the epidural now! KEEP UPDATING!! (I know you have other things going on...but we're just excited!)

Laura said...

Yay for updates! I've been hitting refresh every 10 minutes or so!

You're doing great Jen - we're all thinking about you! How's it feel to have a fan club?

Jen said...

Thanks for all the comments. :) I'm enjoying my little "fan club". I'm sure that my nurse thinks that I'm half crazy laying here with my lap top!

Laura said...

So happy to hear that the epidural is doing it's job. :) I'm impressed that you went as long as you did.

So in the next 2 hours I need to figure out how to get your blog updates sent to my cell phone. I'm leaving at 3:30 and won't have internet access after that. Anna/Anne - that may be your job!

Anonymous said...

Who cares what the nurses think?!
Hopefully you can rest and get a little bit of a nap. May I recommend Law and Order re-runs on TNT? They make for good afternoon watching.

Anne Hultgren said...

I'm happy to update! And Jen as soon as you want visitors let me know! I'd love to visit whenever you want. You are doing awesome and I'm so happy the drugs are working! :) They are wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, jenn . . . this is your St. Vincent friends! We are waiting for an update and yet there is NOTHING!!! Can you get him out already so we can at least know what his name is???
Hope you are well, we are thinking of you.
Amy

Laura said...

It's been 2 hours - where's our update? :) Just kidding - I'm sure you're pretty busy!

Anne Hultgren said...

Oh my word! I'm getting SO EXCITED!!! :) I can only imagine you are too! You're doing awesome!

Anonymous said...

Won't be long now, Mommy!

Nikki said...

Yay! (I know thats what everyone else has said, but it applies). I know you probably already are done at this point, but good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Congratulations mom and dad! Welcome to the world little Brendan, we can't wait to meet you!

Laura said...

Congratulations!!!!!! We are so so so happy for you!!!

Such a cute name! And guess what - it's one that Anne and I thought! I originally thought Braden, but you looked like 6 letters was wrong, so Anne came up with Brendan. I love the name!

And I would just like to point out that you can't time your post at 5:30 because it was not posted until about 7:57. I know this because I've been hitting refresh all night. :)

Congratulations again! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Anne Hultgren said...

CONGRATS!!! I can't believe your posting says 5:30...it didn't show up until 7:58!!! I was getting nervous! I LOVE the name! It was my guess and I had the initials right (Laura can back me up on this...) Jen..let us know how you're feeling. I don't want to call and disrupt things but I can't wait until tomorrow!!!

Megan said...

I was getting really nervous too!!! I'm so excited for you. Sorry you had to do a c-section, but at least a healthy little boy is here. I can't wait for Gavin to meet his new friend!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Great blogging today, and I'm so happy to hear the new little guy is healthy. Way to go, mom and dad!

Laura said...

He's such a cutie!

Chrissi said...

Congratulations Mom and Dad! I love the name! Is Armstrong a family name? Or did you come up w/ that one all by yourself? He's a cutie!

Jen said...

Chris here. Yes, Armstrong is a family name from my dad's side (his mother's maiden name).

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Jen and Chris! Welcome baby Brendan! I love the name. Very cute!

I've been checking your blog regularly waiting for updates! So excited to see that he's here!

Anonymous said...

Congrats from your 5th floor family! I will post the name and stats for the staff, they have all been asking about you!
Take care,
Amy

Anne Hultgren said...

He's SO cute! Can't wait to see him tonight! Let us know how you're feeling today if you get a chance to tear yourself away from that beautiful baby! Hope you got some sleep last night!

Anonymous said...

All the EEG girls are cheering! He's here, he's here! Congrats lil momma... Sandy says he's beautiful and that's allowed when boys are this little!

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

The question at this point is, when does Brendan get to use the laptop and tell us what HE really thinks about all this hoopla?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Jen, He is adorable! I'm so glad I got to visit today with Laura. You guys did good work! I bet Grandma and Grandpa are proud too! Michele

Anonymous said...

From Debby and Dan and Family...

Congratulations on your darling bundle of joy! Boys are great! We are so happy for all of you. There's nothing like a new baby! Enjoy!
We love you!

Laura said...

Post more pictures! Have you taken a family picture yet?

Anonymous said...

Has Kelvin Sampson called y'all to congratulate you?!?!? Keep your cell phone on!! :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see more pics! You look like such a happy family. I see some of daddy's traits but he definitely looks like a Shoemaker!

Anonymous said...

Jen!!!! Yay I love the pics and the Blogging. Congrats to Mom and Dad!

Lia

Anonymous said...

Jennifer... Brendan is very beautiful. Enjoy every sweet moment.