Katelyn

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Brendan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, May 22, 2009

#90 on the 101 things to do in 1001 days

So with the financial changes in our house, I have decided to try to accomplish #90 on my to-do list....I had originally written, only spend $20 per week on groceries for 4 weeks in a row. The plan is to implement a cash-only system and do a lot of meal planning based on what things we already have at home and what's one sale each week. We decided on a limit of $25 per week. This week was the first week and I think that I did OK. I did end up going over, but it's a learning process and I certainly spent less than I normally would!

Sunday - CVS has Honey Maid Graham Crackers on sale for 2/$5. I decent deal. I have 3 $1 off 1 coupons for the Graham Crackers from www.coupons.com , so $4.50 spent
Monday - Meijer. Coupon for a FREE gallon of milk and needed a few things for the dinners we had planned (sour cream, tomatoes, garlic, bananas for the little monkey, & a can of cream corn) $3.70 spent
Thursday - Target: Pace picante sauce, risotto, gallon of milk, two boxes of waffles (coupon for free Pace & free Kashi waffles) $3.17 spent
Friday - Target: 30 cups of Yoplait yogurt for Brendan (yes, I didn't need 30 for next week, but I had coupons that were going to expire soon and had Target coupons that expire on Saturday), 6 bags of shredded cheese (also manufacture coupons plus Target coupons - ended up being 59 cents per bag of shredded cheese) and 4 100 calorie pack snacks (ended up being 39 cents per box) $18.33

Grand Total for the week: $29.70 (I did end up putting the Friday Target run on my credit card, as I was a little over what I planned to spend and had to purchase a door lock - someone is tall enough and smart enough to open the pantry & back doors!) But I will take the amount I was over, out of next week's money, so things should even out.

What we ate/will eat for dinners this week (in case you're curious & so you don't think that we just ate junk!):
Sunday: cookout with friends (took a salad, as it was a pitch-in)
Monday: Egg Rolls, Asian pasta salad, broccoli & carrots
Tuesday: Crab stuffed flounder, creamy pasta & peas
Wednesday: Out to dinner at Olive Garden for our 3rd anniversary
Thursday: Beef Skillet Mac (recipe can be found on the inside of the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup)
Friday: Cobb Salad
Saturday: Tomato Basil Pesto Pizza, Salad & Breadsticks

Breakfast is usually cold cereal, oatmeal, or waffles. Lunch is usually leftovers or canned soup.

I'm not posting all of this for sympathy, yes, we're in a bad spot right now, but I know that if we're wise with our money, we will be just fine. We have a great stockpile of food, toiletries, including diapers to pull from. Plus, I'd like everyone to realize that you can eat well on very little money if you put forth some effort! There are two excellent blogs that I follow and get tips from - their links can be found to the right (Melissa & Jane).

No comments: