Katelyn

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Brendan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 18, 2010

How am I doing?

I feel like I'm doing better with this recovery than last time - although hard to remember with all the drugs on board. :) I know that deep down I knew that a repeat c-section was a possibility, so I think that that helps some as well as having been thru it before. Last time I was completely blindsided by having surgery - this time, not so much.

I am still terribly sore in terms of my incision. Once I get up and move around some, I do start to feel better, but I tire out quickly. In the past 2 days, I've done 3 laps around the floor. The walks do feel good, but I am still lightheaded as well - probably due to my low blood pressure and hemoglobin around 9. Nights are definitely the worst, probably because I get stiff while I sleep my 2-3 hour stretches that I get. My mom has been staying with me at the hospital the last two nights to help me get in & out of bed and walk the 5 feet to the bathroom. It is probably pretty sad to watch as I think that I look like a 90 year old lady all bent over from the pain.

Chris & his parents have been wonderful as well...they've been taking care of Brendan, making sure his schedule doesn't get to out of wack. Plus, they've been busy with little projects at our house.

Dr. Ertel has been wonderful in regards to pain medications. I'm still taking Percocet (10 mg of Oxycodone) every 4 hours and will likely go home on the same. Unless Dr. Ertel has a change of heart, I will also still be here until Friday morning/tomorrow. I feel like after Brendan's c-section I went home too early - which would essentially be today. If I didn't have to get in & out of bed, I would probably be OK, but otherwise, I'd love to have the hospital bed for one more night.

The other benefit of staying is the continued support of the lactation consultants/nurses here. Katelyn has done amazingly well with nursing. Overall she latches well (sometimes too shallow, but we are working on that) and nurses well with very little encouragement from us. So that is certainly a huge weight off my shoulders. Hopefully things will continue to go well, if not improve.

1 comment:

Anne Hultgren said...

Happy it sounds like things are going well!